February 2, 2018

UK Admission FAQ Answered

Twin Rivers Addiction Treatment Centre

Frequently Asked Questions-Answered!

Who do I speak to in the UK about admission to Twin Rivers?

      • Chris Sharpe-Birmingham-0783 626 1661
      • Adrian Rooke-Bristol-0795 031 6218

Do I need to be referred by a psychiatrist or a doctor in order to be admitted to Twin Rivers?

  • Not at all! Contact a UK Consultant or Twin Rivers directly and a pre-admission form will be sent to you. Complete and return the pre-admission information affording the Twin Rivers Clinical Team an opportunity to discuss client suitability and their immediate needs. Admission can take place within 24 Hours of initial enquiry

What’s different about Twin Rivers?

  • Twin Rivers applies genuine focus on client individuality. We are respectful of the fact that despite all of our clients are attending Twin Rivers for similar reasons, what each client needs going forward does vary widely

How do I get to Twin Rivers?

  • Fly directly to Johannesburg or Cape Town, short domestic flight to Plettenberg Bay or George Airport. Transfer arranged from George Airport to Twin Rivers

Will I need a visa?

  • On a European/UK passport you will get a visitor’s visa stamped in your passport for 3 months on arrival to South Africa


  • Acute detox is carried out at our local hospital under the supervision of Dr Olivier and then monitored by our psychiatric nurse on return to the rehab. Time in hospital 3-5 days

What if I decide to stay longer at Twin Rivers?

  • A visa extension is easily obtained via Twin Rivers visa consultant which is inexpensive

Do you have a qualified clinical psychologist?

  • YES, Twin Rivers has a clinical psychologist who specializes in unresolved trauma, assists in identifying retraumatizing patterns of thinking and behaviour

Is there a nurse on site at the rehab?

  • Twin Rivers Psychiatric Nurse oversees the medical welfare of all our clients

Individual/group therapy sessions?

  • Minimum of two sessions a week, one with our psychologist, one with an addictions counsellor and usually another session with a ‘step work’ counsellor

Phones, laptops and Access to phones?

  • You are welcome to bring your phone which you will have access to twice a week to contact family and friends. There is really no need to bring a laptop or I-pad. If you need to check e-mails, then we can arrange for you to use one of Twin Rivers computers

Number of clients at Twin Rivers?

  • Maximum of 12 clients, often diverse group from various country’s

How long is a typical stay?

  • Most International clients commit to a 3 month stay at Twin Rivers. The longest term to date has been 7 months

Are we allowed to exercise at Twin Rivers?

  • All clients go to the local gymnasium and pool twice a week. Emma takes the clients for circuit training on a Tuesday and David facilitates a ‘step’ class and weight training on a Saturday morning. We have morning walks to the beach and some clients are allowed to go jogging

Are there any outings to local places of interest?

Most clients experience the following:

  • Outward Bound-One and a half days in the bush engaging in team building exercises
  • Deep Sea Fishing-Obviously weather dependent
  • Africanyon-Kloofing in The Crags
  • Walking with Elephants
  • We also go on river trips, hikes and have a braai (BBQ)

Is there an Aftercare Programme?

All clients referred by one of our UK Consultants can attend Aftercare with the same consultant. Clients not referred by a Twin Rivers Consultant will have an Aftercare Programme arranged for them in their home area involving an appointment with a therapist and a list of nearby fellowship meetings. A Sober Coach can be arranged whereby a UK Consultant works closely with the client on a ‘daily’ basis, assisting the client into getting into a weekly structure