December 11, 2019

Twin Rivers Rehab Centre FAQs

Twin River Rehab FAQ

What sort of addictions do you cover?

Twin Rivers has mostly helped clients with alcohol, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamines. More lately we have been experiencing clients needing treatment for gambling, sex and internet and social media addiction. As Twin Rivers specializes in Dual Diagnosis we do receive a lot of inquiries about a variety of mental health issues mostly centered around depression. The mental health condition is often premorbid and may well be a contributing factor to the addiction or the addiction may well have created the mental health disorder. This is fir the Twin Rivers Team to Determine.

Why is Twin Rivers Rehab different to others?

Twin Rivers is NOT a clinical treadmill; rather a family orientated home, with pets that focuses on each client’s individual needs. Even though all our clients have addiction and mental health disorders (depression for example) what they need going forward does vary considerably.

How many counselling sessions will I get?

Over the years we have come to appreciate this as being the most important therapeutic process of all for most clients. Twin Rivers affords each client 3 individual counselling sessions a week; one with the psychologist, one with an addictions counsellor and a session with a ‘step work’ counsellor to process step work assignments. This approach is unique in Europe and South Africa.

Do you help addicts with Bi-polar as well?

A high percentage of our clients have what is called a Dual Diagnosis which means they suffer with an addiction and a mental health disorder too. Most common example of this is would be an addict who is also depressed. It is Twin Rivers job to assess whether the depression is due to the addiction or a comorbid condition; i.e. the depression was active prior to the client abusing drugs or alcohol.

What will be expected of me?

All clients are expected to adhere to the house rules and expectations which are common sense based yet we understand that clients do not always pack their common sense when they come to Twin Rivers which is why we ask all clients to sign a ‘conduct contract’ which we can then refer too if the client has difficulties in adjusting to an environment with rules and time lines.


How do I Get Referred to Twin Rivers?

Either through a service provider such as a GP or psychologist or you can refer yourself via e-mail through Twin Rivers web site.

What is the admission process?

All clients have to complete a pre-admission form and have a telephone assessment following which the admission can be arranged.

What means of transportation can I use for admission?

Some clients fly (not included in Twin Rivers treatment fees) or drive to Twin Rivers on their own, We have safe parking for cars or a motorbike. Family members sometimes bring the client to Twin Rivers as they like to meet staff and see where their loved one is going to stay.

Where do I fly too?

Clients, preferably need to fly to George Airport where they will be met and driven to Twin Rivers. Its possible to fly to Port Elizabeth as well.

What luggage can I bring along?

Twin Rivers does supply a pre-admission flyer which advises all clients on what and what not to bring to Twin Rivers.


Are there any hidden costs?

Twin Rivers Treatment fees are inclusive of all therapeutic process, accommodation, laundry, outings and gymnasium. The only other financial requirement is for a medical and pocket money float. Pocket money is for cigarettes and sundries and the medical float is for Doctors appointments and medication. Funds not used from the floats are refunded to the payee.

When do I pay?

All clients are expected to pay a minimum of 25% deposit and the remainder within 2 days of being at Twin Rivers.

Do you accept Medical Aid and how does it work?

Twin Rivers is a registered centre and so we do accept insurance (Medical Aid) for South African clients.Once the Medical Aid has authorised a financial contribution towards the treatment costs then arrangements can be made to start the pre-admission process.

If I fall ill who pays the medical bills, and what happens if I get toothache and need to see the Dentist?

This would be covered either by your medical insurance or your medical float.


Can I receive visitors?

Yes, at the weekends. Even International clients receive visitors who travel a long way to Plettenberg Bay to support their partner/ family member. Visiting sometimes takes place during the week if weekends are not possible.

Can I use the internet?

Yes, you can have access to your e-mails at the weekends on your own laptop or on a Twin Rivers PC. You will have to complete a request form so as this can be arranged.

Can I use the phone?

Yes, after a 5 day ‘settling in’ period all clients have access to their phone twice a week, Wednesdays and Sundays evenings for an hour.

Am I allowed out alone?

No, unfortunately not due to licencing regulations, but Twin Rivers does allow clients out with a ‘Recovery Assistant’. Clients leave the premises at many points during the week to go to AA or NA meetings, the gym, outings, shopping and to the beach.

Do you serve my cultural food and do you allow me to serve my cultural God?

Twin Rivers cook is happy to meet client’s cultural needs. Over the years Twin Rivers has catered for the needs of Jewish and Muslim clients.

Are there ‘lights-out’ rules at night?

Yes, and the care-worker ensures all, clients are in bed by 11pm each night.

Can I watch television, DVD’s and play music?

There is a television in the lounge which plays music during the day and clients can watch a movie on Fridays and Saturdays. Special sporting events can also be watched at the weekends on request.

Can I smoke?

Yes, there is no smoking in the house at all so there are smoking areas in the garden. There is a no smoking garden area to for non-smokers


How long is the programme?

Twin Rivers minimum stay is 28 days which is popular with business people with tight schedules but most of our clients stay for at least 8 weeks and some stay for the full-term of 12 weeks.

Will I have to share a bedroom?

Yes, there are no single rooms as this promotes ‘isolation’ which will not help a client’s recovery process. Twin Rivers bedrooms accommodate 2 & 3 people with their own bathrooms.

Are there any workshops?

Yes, there is a ‘drama’ workshop every week facilitated by Stuart whose processes assist clients with personal growth on many levels.

Will I be forced to participate in programmes and counselling I disagree with?

No one is ‘forced’ to participate but of course we do expect a fare degree of daily involvement in order to positively impact group cohesion and support.